Thursday, February 7, 2013

Korean Immigrants in America

Questions for Dr. Kang:


How do you recommend that we encourage parents to be involved in their student’s bilingualism?


Do you have any personal experience similar to the research in your study that would help us further expand on the significance of parental involvement?


I found this study to be eye opening because sometimes I forget about the importance of parental involvement in bilingualism. For example, I am a bilingual tutor to a 6-year-old boy and I have not really thought about what his use of language is like at home because I have not been able to interact with his family. I have only worked with him for a short time, but this will undoubtedly affect how I direct my teaching for him. I wonder what language is prominent in his home and how much his parents are invested in his bilingualism? I realized that I have caught myself assuming that he is easily developing Spanish with his family, but that may not be the case! This is yet another reminder that assumptions can be detrimental to teaching and I should always consider all aspects that may factor into a student’s language acquisition.


However, regarding this family language policy, how will I be able to figure this out for students? It may be difficult to know how language is acted upon at home and it could easily vary for every child. In this study by Dr. Kang, these policies were clear because they were elicited from the research, but I will not have this specific information as a teacher.


On a side note, it is nice to know that English can be acquired even if the children’s parents do not speak it. It makes me feel like we are making a difference as teachers and we can provide a support system for children to practice their English if they cannot at home. But at the same time, it also saddened me to realize that the languages of the immigrants, such as Korean, could be lost without parental involvement or use. I believe holding onto and appreciating the different components of your culture is so important and it would be sad for a child to miss out on that.


Moving onto “A Step Away From Heaven,” I really enjoyed this book and it gave me insight into Korean immigrant culture. The story did a great job of displaying the struggle of transitioning and assimilating into America.  As we saw earlier with identity narratives, many of them focused on the success of their immigration, but there are many sad realities that they face. It can be an extremely complicated experience to acquire a second language, maintain the native language, and figure out your cultural identity throughout this process. As Dr. Kang’s article explained, the support of parents for their children’s bilingualism is extremely important, and it was clear that Young Ju was lacking this support. This may be an impacting factor of why she could not read or write in Korean because she was much more surrounded by English. When Young Ju initially began school, she had difficulty understanding and communicating with her peers in English, but she also struggled with cultural issues and how they affected her family life. I found some of these quotes to be interesting representations of her difficulties between her American and Korean identity: (**I read this on my Kindle, so I do not have access to the page numbers.)


-“I inch away from Uhmma, pretend I am not that woman’s daughter. Not a poor Oriental who saves pennies like gold.”

-“You, Apa shouts and hits the side of my head with his knuckles, will never question me.”

-“Your life can be different, Young Ju. Study and be strong. In America, women have choices.”

-“I pick up several boxes near the front door with Korean words scribbled on the sides and take them to Uhmma for deciphering. A few of the characters look familiar, but I never learned to read or write Korean.” (This connects with the fact that children of immigrants may not achieve proficiency in their parent’s language, especially in reading or writing.)

-“I do not understand why I have to speak Korean at home so I will not forget where I come from.”

-“You are becoming too American. That girl is worthless, Apa says.” (Apa’s disapproval and resistance of assimilating into the American culture.)


I found both of these texts to be extremely interesting and applicable to my future as a teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment